At Gerry’s OK Tire, serving Abbotsford and Mission area, we believe the best maintenance is preventative. As we near winter, it is a good idea to prepare for bad weather ahead of time. Many of us travel during the holidays to spend time with loved ones so, it is good practice to make sure you […]
At Gerry’s OK Tire, serving Abbotsford and Mission area, we believe the best maintenance is preventative. As we near winter, it is a good idea to prepare for bad weather ahead of time. Many of us travel during the holidays to spend time with loved ones so, it is good practice to make sure you and your vehicle are prepared. Here are 5 tips to keep your vehicle safely on the road.
- Check your tires for wear. When getting your car ready for winter, be sure to inspect your tires for tread wear and rotate them during every oil change. To check your tire’s tread, use a coin test. This can easily be done by taking a dime and turn it so that the Queen’s head is facing towards the ground and insert the coin into your tire tread groove. If the Queen’s head – including her crown – are fully visible to your eye, then it is time to replace your tires – ASAP.
- Check your tire pressure. Low air pressure in your tires can be potentially dangerous on winter roads. Take your car to a mechanic to check your tire pressure and fill your tires if necessary. If you have prior knowledge on checking your tire pressure, you can easily do it yourself at your local gas station.
- Consider installing snow tires. Switching to snow tires, especially when traveling through the mountains, can help driving on snowy and slippery roads. Snow tires get a much better grip on the road, preventing dangerous slipping on ice. Shop tires.
Tip: snow tires make your KPL) lower, so only put on snow tires during harsh winter months
- Change your oil and antifreeze. Making sure all of your fluids are topped up and winterized help to keep your vehicle in premium condition for the cold winter months. This is one of the easiest and least expensive ways to keep your vehicle running optimally. Book a service visit.
- Inspect your battery. Your vehicle’s battery capacity lessens in cold weather. Be sure your car is prepared for the winter and have a professional inspect your battery’s fluid and cables. It is also good to have a set of jumper cables in your trunk just in case you might need them or in case someone else might need a boost.
Gerry’s OK Tire is here to assist you with all of your automotive needs. Book a service visit with one of our trusted service professionals and let us give you peace of mind for all your winter travels.